Thursday, December 03, 2009

old photoz


My uncle Clark taking me for a spin on his Hobie Cat. June gloom in Long Beach.

me spinning solo in Yosemite. Maybe 19 years old? (I don't know. I am not a mathist, I'm an artist. Jeez.)


This pic below makes me laugh every time I wade through the deep water of my plastic box of old photos. When I was around 21 years old, I had a job with my girlfriend's dad as a land surveyor grunt. It was a great job in many ways. It was hard. Lots of hiking and carrying heavy stuff.

One side benefit? Wilderness art. Since we were marking property lines and would tag trees that were along the edge of a property of a timber company with a hatchet chop and a dash of red spray paint, I had a brilliant idea. Why not "decorate" a few snags or trees slated for becoming front decks in Japan?

So I left my mark in the high Trinity Alps. I imagined loggers, buzzing on lukewarm coffee and many other things, running down the hill in their spiked boots and stumbling upon one of my trees. It always made me smile. Still does.
BOO!



Lastly, I leave you with the end for me. What I am pretty sure was the end for me. The end of creativity flowing. The end of endless potential. The end of unconfined exploration.
My Kindergarten class. I don't mean to be nihilistic or shade schools in any light other than positive, (I AM a freakin' teacher) but for me, school was a long and dim tunnel of disappointment broken infrequently by brief patches of golden sunlight. (Can I say that?) Now, kiddos, don't get me wrong! I am not saying I think kids shouldn't go to school, but I will say that in the 70's there were not many opportunities for kids to experience some of the wonderful, life affirming institutions available to today's youth. Schools nowadays rock. I would give my left ... earlobe, for a chance to go back in time and be nurtured by one of these schools like the one I teach in. I am also not trying to advocate parents trying to keep their kids from adversity. For crying out loud, that is one of the major problems today. Adversity makes good character. Pain creates empathy. Empathy creates kindness and equality and unity.

Another thing struck me as I gazed at this picture. I have never been in contact (knowingly) with a single person from my elementary school. I moved enough so that I am not friends with hardly anyone from any of my schools. Sad, I suppose. I have a few good friends I have kept throughout the years from each of the places I have been, but the wind has blown many away. Ah, thus is life. Blow, wind. Blow.


Can you spot me?

Hint. Whiteboy.
Hint. Bowl Cut.
Hint. Early 70's clothes.
Hint. Central location.
Hint. If you were to segment the photo into eight columns and eight rows.... you know what? If you haven't figured it out by now, I am the one with the pink dress in front.