Saturday, October 17, 2009

music and art



Workshop went well today. I came to the class and told the students that I brought all my paint and brushes and blank surfaces, but purposefully left my intent completely blank. I had absolutely no idea of what I was gonna come up with. My goal was to have us be led by the music. All I know is that I turned it up, tuned in and melted far far away into a couple of paintings. The first was a short session, 30 minutes to the soundtrack of SAD, with artists like Damien Jurado, Zeppelin, The Smiths, Bowie, The Shins, Hendrix, etc.
I will probably work on this some more, so I am not gonna title it or anything. Just a study.


Next is a session lasting about an hour and fifteen minutes set to a very transcendent soundtrack of artists like People for Audio, Nujabes, Zero 7, Fuck Buttons, Mono, M83, Cinematic Orchestra, BMSR, etc... Good stuff for telling stories with pictures. I really like this piece. It is very similar to another I did on a huge piece of panel, so I think there may be a show of images like this one that I need to do. I am starting to hear the siren...






"All That's Left Now is Her Shadow"
acrylic on wood panel
~30" x 48"