Thursday, August 20, 2009

Book Review Thursday


Just kidding. I dont know why I put Thursday. I most certainly will not be doing book reviews every Thursday.... or will I? hmmmm


Anyways, Bird.
Bird by Zetta Elliot, illustrated by Shadra Strickland. 

This is an amazing book. As I read it to my boy, we were both drawn in to the world of the main character, nicknamed Bird by his late Grandfather. I was surprised by the heavy vibe that was cast shortly into the book. The reality of what the boy and especially his brother were facing was terribly sad. It was not avoided like it is in most media outlets. Ignored or given way too much attention, to the point of glorifying it. 

The illustrations are light. Which is perfect. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is depth and emotion plenty. But the style in which Shadra Strickland created the artwork is full of air and that  balances the heavy weight of the text. Bird's drawings being used as backgrounds in places is a beautiful touch.

These are the kinds of books that I love so very much. Real. Beautiful. Sad. Life. 

Good work, ladies! Amazing book.