Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pumpkin Patchin

I wish I would have known then what I know now.
All those days and nights of turmoil as a teenager wondering why I was even alive and why I should care. Stressing as an adult about what I should do with my life and how I was going to make any money to pay my bills or keep from being evicted. Now, when I am around my family, all of the worries I have inflicted upon myself just dissipate like the marine layer when the sun comes out full strength.

This was one of the best days I have ever had. One of those days when God pulls back any dark clouds and shows you what you really have.
And it cost $4.
It required no schooling. It took zero planning.

Like the eternally wise song from the Gladiators says,
The Best Things In Life Are Free.


We took a long and gorgeous walk through a tall corn maze and though Taj started out running dangerously ahead of the pack, after 45 minutes he took Finlay's lead and became an incredibly heavy piggy for Daddy's back that made the last ten minutes of being maybe actually lost even more "exciting".


Though Mariah was never worried. And, indeed, she almost never is. I should be so lucky.

Then we went hunting for a couple pumpkins to become decorations and later Brazilian soup.
Taj found a perfect one right away and lugged his own little piggy around until his arms got tired.


When I looked back and saw that he had not only dropped his load, but was kicking it with a malevolent delight, I asked him what was up.

Taj: "Mom said I am suppose to kick them." (Not True)

Dad: "Why, Taj?"

Taj: "She just told me I have to kick them. Ok, Dad?"

Huh.
Who knows? Finlay, you better not get any ideas.