Friday, September 28, 2007

Trapped in the Closet... ahem...

Check it out. I was flipping through and landed on IFC because I saw R Kelly's name. I thought it was gonna be some scand'lous bit about the man's freakiness. But it was the movie, Trapped In The Closet.
Don't go judging a book by its cover or a movie by its title. I couldn't believe I was watching it. It is an exercise in storytelling. At first you turn it on and say, what the hell am i seeing here? Then after five minutes tops, you completely forget about the format and you are in to the story. The story has taken you out of your world and brought you into its own place.
This is the MAGIC of lots of different performance art. Theater. When I see a play, I always start out a little red faced and tingly for the actors for some reason, but if it's good I forget all about the fact that there are real people standing feet away from me saying lines they have memorized. The story takes over and completely brings me in so that I am not even aware that I am hungry or have to pee or whatever. This happens with good books, music, lots of media. And now, even insane R&B monologuing has joined the magic.

If you get a chance to see Trapped In The Closet, please do, if not just for the fact that you are watching a movie where the soundtrack is entirely one man sing/talking every character's lines. Crazy! And this is something that is so rare you remember it instantly: I have never seen anything like this before in a movie. It is more like an opera, except that it is one dude's voice for everyone. Old ladies, preachers, pimps, hos, kids, crazy crazy crazy.

My one aside is this. If he goes on to make lots more of these to cash in he is killing the art form. Leave it be, Freaky man.