Thursday, June 21, 2007

Portraits a Plenty

Tonight I am working on two portraits of kids of friends of mine. It is fun to do this because it is like getting paid to practice something I need to get better at anyways. And I really put my heart into commissioned work. I dont know why but I spend more time on those than anything else. Even if I am getting paid much less than for an illustration gig. I see it hanging in a home for years and it has got to be great. And that is where the negative side to portraits comes in. Jeez, I could make some beautiful kid look like horrible diseases plague them, or like they are actually seventy years old, not seven. I am sweating right now talking about it. Children are the most beautiful thing in the world, but YOUR OWN CHILDREN are just out of this planet perfect. I know all my kids are. And it is so hard to capture the perfection a parents sees. Your are doom'd before you even begin.

Oh well. I should know by now that they usually turn out fine. Better in fact. I have handed over paintings to several people where they cried as soon as they saw it. I will just go on believing that they were tears of joy.

Huh. So have I procrastinated long enough? Maybe I could do a little midnight gardening or reorganize my play lists. . . . . . . . or clean the studio. . . or . . . . . .